recent posts

August 25, 2014

Peacock Puppet Craft + Elmer's Early Learners Prize Pack and $25 Visa Gift Card Giveaway

This post is sponsored by Elmer's Early Learners Academy. The craft tutorial and all opinions expressed are my own. 

My older boys started back at school this past week. I sure miss them during the day but I also enjoy all the quality time I get to spend with my little preschooler. With some of our one-on-one time today we tried out some Elmer's Early Learners Products and created this Paper Bag Peacock Puppet. Then we played and giggled with them to our heart's content.      

{This post contains affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.}

SUPPLIES YOU WILL NEED:

DIRECTIONS:
Before having my daughter start her craft, I did some prep work (Note: Depending on yours child's skill level, they may be able to do some of these steps on their own):

-- Start by cutting off three (3) inches from the bottom of your paper lunch bag. You can throw away the cut off section as you won't be needing it.

-- Measure and cut two rectangles out of your blue construction paper to fit the bottom of the paper bag (peacock head) and the front of the lunch bag (peacock body).

-- Cut two triangles out of your yellow construction paper for the peacock beak.


-- Take your lunch bag and lay it onto your green construction paper. Use your pencil to draw light markings on the paper of where you want your peacock feathers to lay around your bag (see picture above), and then cut out the shape from your green construction paper. 

Now you're ready for your child to make their Peacock Puppet!

1. Use your Elmer's Early Learners Glue Stick to add glue to the bottom rectangle of your lunch bag and attach your small blue rectangle. Now add glue to the front of the lunch bag (you'll have to lift the flap slightly) and attach the larger blue rectangle.  One of my favorite features of this Glue Stick is it's triangle shape. Not only does it help encourage children to use the tripod grasp, but it never rolls off the table!


2. Use your Elmer's Early Learners Glue Stick again to glue on your yellow triangle beak. Glue one of the triangles on the bottom of the small blue rectangle, and the other one underneath the flap, directly underneath the other triangle.   

3. Next glue your green construction paper feather shape onto the back of your paper bag.


4. Use your scissors to cut small feathers all the way around the green construction paper. This is great scissor practice for a preschooler! You can see my daughter pictured above, using Elmer's Early Learners Scissors cutting her feathers. I cut my feathers extra small and crinkled them a little to give my Peacock some extra texture.

5. Glue on your wiggly eyes and your small blue fluffy feathers with your Elmer's Early Learners Gel Pen. The Gel Pen also has the triangle shape so it doesn't roll AND it has a sponge tip which makes for much less mess!


6. Lastly, add dots of glue onto the Peacock's green feathers with your Gel Pen and add gold and teal sequins to make the fun designs on the feathers. Once your glue is dry have fun playing with your new Peacock Puppet!


Here is a side by side of my puppet next to my daughter's who just turned 4 years old. I love bonding with my children through arts and crafts. It is seriously the best! Check out the Elmer's Let's Bond Pledge for information on how important crafting with your children is and ideas on ways to nurture cognitive development through crafting.   


Try coupling this craft with Three Hens and a Peacock by Lester Laminack


GIVEAWAY
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED!
Win an Elmer's Early Learners Prize Pack which includes the Elmer's Learns Glue Stick and Glue Pen, together with a $25 Visa Gift Card for all your crafting needs. To enter, fill out the Rafflecopter Form below.

You must be 18 years old to enter. Prize can be shipped to US addressee only. The giveaway ends on September 3, 2014 at 12:00 am (MST).  Winner will be notified via email and has 48 hours to respond to the email with their mailing address. If winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen.
a Rafflecopter giveaway

rachel

34 comments:

kellyr78 said... Best Blogger Tips

Elephants are my favorite.
kellywcu8888ATgmailDOTcom

HS said... Best Blogger Tips

I like kangaroos .

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this craft. It is so adorable. I want to do it with my preschoolers!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

My favorite animal is a horse.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

My favorite animal is a penguin.

FrangiePani said... Best Blogger Tips

birds of all kinds

Mami2jcn said... Best Blogger Tips

I love penguins.

Zoepenny said... Best Blogger Tips

My favorite animal is the elephant, the elephant is majestic.

Ash said... Best Blogger Tips

I have always loved sloths!

demureprincess7(at)gmail(dot)com

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Tigers

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the chance!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Oops! - Horses

freebiequeen15 said... Best Blogger Tips

Penguins are my favorite animal

Emily Smith said... Best Blogger Tips

My favorite animal is a turtle :)

Kim H. said... Best Blogger Tips

I love pandas!!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Dogs and dolphins are my favorite

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

@RobynThanks Robyn! I hope your preschoolers enjoy it! :)

rachel said... Best Blogger Tips

Kitty cats! Although red panda babies melt my heart...

Lynda Del said... Best Blogger Tips

Love dogs!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

my favorite animal is the dolphin i cant wait to swim with them one day its on my bucket list

Adrienne said... Best Blogger Tips

My kids and I love seeing the peacocks at our zoo so we will definitely have to do this craft. The peacock is one of our favorite animals. We love penguins too and I bet we could come up with a penguin version of this craft. Thanks :-)
adrienne.and.justin@gmail.com

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Koalas are my favorite!

Thanks for the chance to win!
wildorchid985 at gmail dot com

emchelly77 said... Best Blogger Tips

i love elephants and penguins!

Nina H said... Best Blogger Tips

I love elephants!

Leidy Ruiz said... Best Blogger Tips

I like pandas
Leidy R - rafflecopter form

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I love giraffes!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Owls are my fave.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Would have to say that my favorite animal is an elephant - rafflecopter - shaunie

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I love giraffes! !

Donna said... Best Blogger Tips

elephants and pandas!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Lions

LauraJJ said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh I love Gorillas and monkeys!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

domestic, dogs. Exotic, giraffes

Allisha Gold said... Best Blogger Tips

My favorite animal is the Pomeranian :)