I saw a darling Eric Carle Inspired Lady Bug Craft at Artsonia Art Museum made by a Kindergartner named Weston. I absolutely adore this craft! We literally tried to re-make the masterpiece exactly as I saw it pictured because it was so amazing! I watched one of my son's friends for a couple hours today so both her and my son made one. They turned out frame-worthy for sure!!
{This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Read our Disclosure Policy for more information.}
I intended to take pictures of the process of making them but when I got my camera out my battery was dead. Drats! There are quite a few steps involved and lots of different materials, so here are some instructions.
Supplies you will need:
2. Use a fork to paint the bottom of a sheet of cardstock with your green paint. Let it dry completely then cut it out and glue it to your blue background.
3. Make the ladybug wings by gluing orange and red tissue paper all over a white cardstock circle. Then use a paint brush to cover it completely with school glue to seal it in good and to give it a little bit of a shiny look. Let it dry completely and then cut it in half to make two wings.
4. Use a circle sponge brush to paint black spots all over your wings and set them aside to dry.
5. We cut two circle out of our black cardstock paper to use for the ladybug body and glued them onto our blue painted background, one layered on top of the other.
6. Glue your wings onto your ladybug body. Glue your large googly eyes onto your ladybug.
7. Finish your ladybug by cutting your black pipecleaner in half. Bend it in half and then bend the two ends to make antennae. Glue the antennae under the head of your ladybug.
As I mentioned, this art project as several steps so you may want to space it out over a few days. Once it's completed, it's so stunning and you'll definitely want to put them on display.
More Bug and Insect crafts on I Heart Crafty Things:
You can follow I Heart Crafty Things on Facebook, Pinterest,
Google+, Twitter, and Instagram!
I intended to take pictures of the process of making them but when I got my camera out my battery was dead. Drats! There are quite a few steps involved and lots of different materials, so here are some instructions.
Supplies you will need:
- white watercolor or heavy cardstock paper
- black and white cardstock paper
- blue liquid watercolors
- salt
- red and orange tissue paper
- green and black paint
- large googly eyes
- black pipecleaner
- circle sponge brush
- plastic fork
- scissors
- glue
Directions:
1. Paint your watercolor paper with your blue liquid watercolors. While the watercolors are sill very wet, sprinkle salt on your paper to get the fun textured background. We have tried this technique with regular watercolors that you add water to, but it didn't work well. Liquid watercolors is the way to go! After the watercolors are completely dry, rub off the salt and you are left with the fun texture.2. Use a fork to paint the bottom of a sheet of cardstock with your green paint. Let it dry completely then cut it out and glue it to your blue background.
3. Make the ladybug wings by gluing orange and red tissue paper all over a white cardstock circle. Then use a paint brush to cover it completely with school glue to seal it in good and to give it a little bit of a shiny look. Let it dry completely and then cut it in half to make two wings.
4. Use a circle sponge brush to paint black spots all over your wings and set them aside to dry.
5. We cut two circle out of our black cardstock paper to use for the ladybug body and glued them onto our blue painted background, one layered on top of the other.
6. Glue your wings onto your ladybug body. Glue your large googly eyes onto your ladybug.
7. Finish your ladybug by cutting your black pipecleaner in half. Bend it in half and then bend the two ends to make antennae. Glue the antennae under the head of your ladybug.
As I mentioned, this art project as several steps so you may want to space it out over a few days. Once it's completed, it's so stunning and you'll definitely want to put them on display.
More Bug and Insect crafts on I Heart Crafty Things:
- Lightning Bug Craft
- Five Little Ladybugs
- Fruit Cup Ladybug Craft
- Nature Dragonfly Craft
- Beaded Dragonfly and Lightning Bug



















13 comments:
I love ladybugs and yours is too cute! I think it looks just like the original pin! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!
Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.
What a great way to explore Eric Carle's books. Love the colours!
We've been working with Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar. His books inspire children's creativity. Your ladybugs look great. Thanks for sharing. If you'd like to see our caterpillar, you're welcome @ http://storiesandchildren.com/the-very-hungry-caterpillar-art-project/
It is so beautiful!!!
Seriously adorable!! I love your little ladies. :)
Rachel-
These ladybugs are darling! Love all the texture...Your photos are really crisp as well.
We featured your post at our insect unit and craft roundup.
Hope you have a lovely week!
Nicolette & Karen
editors of The Classroom Creative.
This is an adorable craft! My special needs 13 yr old will love it!
I love how simple and adorable this is :) Thank you for stopping by my linky party and sharing it!
Paula
I just love this! The colors are so bright and fun! And my daughter just loves that book:)
SO adorable! I have it pinned! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays last week!!
I love this!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you have a fabulous weekend!
As a Reading Specialist and a Mom, I LOVE this! What a great post reading activity! I would love to invite you to share this with my readers at Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes!
Have a Great Weekend,
Mackenzie
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-12-summer-series-preview/
I love this craft! It is one of the best Eric Carle inspired crafts I have seen!
Post a Comment