One of my favorite birds is the peacock. We got some really close up views of some during our visit and tried to pay close attention to all the details because we knew were going to make a peacock craft this week to go along with our visit.
Last year during our Bird Week we made a similar peacock craft out of a coffee filter, but we added a new twist to it this year and I'm delighted with how it turned out.
{This post contains affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.}
It's about a glamorous Peacock who comes to stay at the Tucker Farm and attracts all kind of attention from customers. The hens think it's not fair, and the Peacock doesn't feel like he's as much use as the chickens, so the farm dog suggests they switch roles. You'll have to read it to see how the chickens try to be glamorous and the Peacock tries to lay an egg. It's a really cute story!
Supplies you will need:
- paper plate
- liquid watercolors
(or regular watercolors)
- blue cardstock or construction paper
- small piece of yellow cardstock or construction paper
- 2 googly eyes
- cocktail toothpicks
- tape
- gold, green and blue sequins in varying sizes
- glue
1. Paint the top side of your paper plate with green water color paint. We used liquid watercolors but you could also use regular watercolors. If you haven't ever tried liquid watercolors I highly recommend them!
2. Once we were finished painting the paper plate green, we went back with blue water colors and painted some random stripes all over the paper plate. The colors blended really nicely since the plate was still wet. Here is what our plate looked like when we were finished. Let it dry completely. We put ours on the front porch in the sun to hurry up the process since we are inpatient!
3. While the paper plate was drying, I drew the outline of a bowling ball shape on a half sheet of blue cardstock paper and my son cut it out for the Peacock body.
4. Next add the details to the Peacock body. A yellow beak (which I cut out), some googly eyes, and we taped 4 cocktail toothpicks to the back of his head. I wish I could take credit for the brilliant toothpick idea, but I saw it over at Tippytoe Crafts when we did our craft last year. After we were done adding the details to the peacock body, we glued it onto the paper plate.
5. To finish our craft, we used different sized sequins to make the spots on our peacock. First, we glued on extra large gold sequins all over.
6. Then put a dab of glue on each gold sequin to add the next color. We ended up doing three colors, but you could totally get away with only doing two. We stuck with green and blue sequins to look like a peacock, but it would be fun to have a class choose whatever color they wanted to make the peacocks extra colorful.
The spots are shiny and beautiful just like on a peacock.
Here is my son's completed peacock. So precious, right?!!

Pin It
















15 comments:
This is fabulous! I've pinned it and linked back to you for future reference! I love peacocks too - they're quite magnicificent.
Love it! I plan on changing my peacock craft a little this year as well. Thanks for the ideas! And please, oh please tell me you are doing a toucan craft (saw the cute picture in an earlier post)! I want to do one so badly, but am having trouble finding some good inspiration out there.
Excellent ,Nice photography....
Linking over from Adventures-in-Mommy-Land...that is such a great craft!
Our girls have yet to see a peacock with his tail feathers out...we got close at the last zoo we visited...but they are so anxious.
I'm filing this away for when we do...I know my kiddos will really enjoy it.
Thanks for the idea!
what a great peacock. And such a nice activity for a wide range of ages. love it
such a cuuuuuute idea! following ya from the blog hop!
This is so cute. I'm stopping by from the blog hop. Happy to be a new follower
So cute! Stopping by from the blog hop!
Barbara @ Chase the Star
http://chase-thestar.blogspot.com/
such a cute peacock!! Thanks for sharing on Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land!! Hope to see you again soon!
We just saw one at the local zoo the other day - they are beautiful!!! Your pictures are stunning and I love the book and craft connections. Thanks for sharing at Afterschool Bloghop!
Love this! What a fun kid project! Reed chased a peacock around the zoo a couple of weeks ago...lol
Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to the Pomp Party board!
Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.
Oh my! How adorable. Looks so pretty!
Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!
Maggy & Alissa
I love this, Rachel!! Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you are having a fabulous week!!
Absolutely love this! I do preschool at home with my little girl and we're discussing birds this week. I can't wait to do this craft and take a look at the beautiful peacock! Thanks for the idea!
Cute craft! The book is fabulous. I was fortunate to hear the author speak and he also read the book to us. He was great. It's a must read in my library. The kids get a kick out of the story and is a great lesson in putting ourselves in another's shoes.
Post a Comment